Thursday, December 3, 2009

The battles within

We're on the trimester system and our first one ended a couple weeks ago. I was looking over the grades for all my students. I'd have preferred if certain teachers just came up to me and slapped me in the face instead of unleashing these travesties:



and




These are two different teachers although they both teach history. If you can't see the examples, in the first one, the student received extra credit for bringing in Kleenex boxes. In the second, this student received extra credit for keeping her bathroom passes. You know already how I feel about this. Not coincidentally, teacher B is probably one of the biggest resistors to any assessment reform message my group tries to bring to the school.

So at my own school, in my own grade level, I have a teacher who allows students to purchase points and I have a teacher who rewards students for holding their bladder. Change starts at home.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, Jason, but who's spending his own money on Kleenex and who isn't? Hmmm?

    ReplyDelete